MtG Players Union
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings

+10
Fell
Luke
atomsmasher
vatechguy
Pedro
gwdearing
PV
jeffwc83
friedm
G0-DRAW
14 posters

Go down

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings Empty Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings

Post  G0-DRAW Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:40 am

I was wondering if anyone else thought that Magic Online ratings should affect DCI Magic the Gathering ratings and the reverse (DCI affect MODO ratings). I feel the DCI could improve the DCI ratings system, really do we have to wait until wednesday to view out changes to the DCI ratings? I would like to hear what others have to say regarding letting the DCI ratings move and be moved by Magic Online ratings.

G0-DRAW

http://www.makingbuttermilkintogold.com

Back to top Go down

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings Empty Re: Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings

Post  friedm Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:15 am

You can't make sure that a certain player is playing on a certain Magic Online account. A player better than you could be playing on your account to increase your rating. Real life rating affects byes @ GPs and PT invitations, so yea, your idea doesnt seem very feasible.

friedm

Back to top Go down

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings Empty Re: Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings

Post  jeffwc83 Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:12 am

friedm wrote:You can't make sure that a certain player is playing on a certain Magic Online account. A player better than you could be playing on your account to increase your rating. Real life rating affects byes @ GPs and PT invitations, so yea, your idea doesnt seem very feasible.

This is the classic argument against MODO PTQs/GPs/PTs but I'm not convinced it's insurmountable. Faceless Poker tournaments qualify players for real life events.

jeffwc83

Back to top Go down

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings Empty .

Post  PV Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:05 am

modo IMO is a completely different game and there is no way the ratings should have anything at all in common (and I'm pretty sure they won't)

PV

Back to top Go down

Post  gwdearing Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:33 pm

PV wrote:modo IMO is a completely different game and there is no way the ratings should have anything at all in common (and I'm pretty sure they won't)
Agreed

gwdearing

Back to top Go down

Post  Pedro Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:44 pm

ME too

Pedro

Back to top Go down

Post  vatechguy Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 am

friedm wrote:You can't make sure that a certain player is playing on a certain Magic Online account. A player better than you could be playing on your account to increase your rating. Real life rating affects byes @ GPs and PT invitations, so yea, your idea doesnt seem very feasible.

I couldn't tell you the last time I got IDed at a PTQ (or any other local sanctioned tourney)- so what's the difference?

vatechguy

Back to top Go down

Post  atomsmasher Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:59 am

there are some aspects, that make it more unlikely that you will let some body play for you in a real-life tournament, rather than on mtgo.

1. and most important: good players may be recognised. if you will have somebody play for you in a tournament, you are looking for a real good players. these players might be identified by other players in the tournament. if you get kenji to play in a ptq for you to qualify, people might wonder why the pairings say they play vs. random guy number 5. while kenji tsumura is staring at them. also if sayed pro reaches top 8 eight there very well be an identity check due to plane tickets etc...

2. the effort to cheat in this manner is relatively small. you got rich hoen on your aom. why not ask him do do you a favor by winning a ptq so u are qualified for the tour. in return you might help him with something different or offer some money. so with relativ ease you may earn your self a slot you did not deserve, with little to no chance to get caught.

3. the psychological aspect. people are more likely to cheat if they think they will not be caught obv. getting involved in tournament fraud is conected with serious danger for the pros. they might be suspend and will suffer a serious image loss.

so tournament fraud is both less likely to get identified and more likely to be comitted, if you can do it at your own desk without having to go to a tournament. consider the statement of quentin martin that he has used the account of other people to draft. i donīt blame him for doing so, but this behavior is tournent fraud to some extend. it is actually not quite fraud, because mtgo is allowing nicks etc.. so your not actually pretending to be somebody different, but you get the point.

you can not really compare this situation to online poker.
imagine your a poker pro. what is your incentive to win a satellite qualifer for someone else? money? i dont think so. if your a poker pro, you may very well just play online poker and make more money than somebody is willing to pay you for playing in a satellite tourney. unlike protours, big poker tourneys are usually not invitation only, so not even the prestige may get somebody to pay you for playing in a satellite tourney.

well magic is a different thing. first, although there is money to win on the pro tour, even the best players can hardly make a living of magic and we have the players club. imagine you are a level 3, or which level now is equivallent. you are quallified and get a plane tiket to the pro tour, even further you are no longer allowed to play ptqs. then somebody is offering you some bucks to play in an online qualifier. why not use the chance? its easy money, there is next to no chance to get caught and you are not allowed to participate in the tournament under your real name.

see the difference?

atomsmasher

Back to top Go down

Post  Luke Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:04 am

A straight personal opinion.

No!

I'm an aspiring player looking to hit high sometime, rankings are at 1774 and I've busted my balls to pick up playsets of cards needed for my local/national tournaments.

I'll be damned if I have to double my expenditure to compete online where a server error or powercut could mean the difference between qualifying for Nationals and not!

I've got MODO and it's alright, I'm probably not going to play it again because I can't afford it. So if rankings merged and my player base around me doubled or significantly climbed the constructed ladder I'd probably quit playing competitively.
Luke
Luke

http://www.eastbourne-elemental.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Fell Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:01 pm

You say this, but they did have an online worlds qualifier last season, with the prize being an invite and two flights. Which would suggest that it is something that they are at least considering.

Fell

Back to top Go down

Magic Online Account ratings with DCI Magic the Gathering ratings Empty my thoughts

Post  Eelco1972 Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:17 pm

It's pretty clear that the one slot for Worlds they give away through Magic Online is a marketing tool to bring a buzz into the world either for cardplayers to recognize the fact that Magic Online excists, or to direct players that play Magic Online alone to the cardgame. I'm pretty sure WotC is not happy with having to invite someone that is the account's owner, but that there is no way they can EVER be sure that the owner of the account actually played the tournaments needed to win to Q.

Eelco
Eelco1972
Eelco1972

Back to top Go down

Post  mercenarybdu Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:15 pm

Na, both should be separate. Why should somebody who plays a lot of MTGO move up the ladder so fast when the person who doesn't have MTGO is stuck?
mercenarybdu
mercenarybdu

Back to top Go down

Post  Coonan Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:42 am

Yeah, that's what would be balls - Online players could be playing games literally all day, whereas paper players play a tournament then say, "Well, I'll try and get my rating up more next weekend." I'm sure if I could play games all day, my rating would be pretty nuts, but I can only increase it 2-3 tournaments a week.

Coonan

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatGirlWhoPlaysMagic Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:02 am

Some people play MTGO because they don't have people to play with IRL. I'd be behind an online equivalent to a PT. It would be cheaper than a RL PT and so prizes could be bigger. Smile Anyway, I don't see how your MTGO rating could possibly effect your tabletop Magic ratings. Isn't your MTGO rating basically calculated the same way as your normal rating, meaning divided by format, except its for MTGO? It would be too confusing.

ThatGirlWhoPlaysMagic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down